Monday, August 2, 2010

CRAN-APPLE GLAZED CHICKEN, FILET-O-FISH JINGLE, KKAMPUNGI & PULLED BRISKET SANDWICHES

(Wednesday, March 3, 2010)

Again, we start the blog on the topic of snow. Why? Because there's no way around it and it has been a part of our few past days. I'm not sure how they go about measuring how many inches of snow we get, but it was up to our waist outside our door! How can you avoid this?



So with an ode to the snow, we'd like to extend an extra special ode to Kee and my personal friend, Yu Na Kim. We have been glued to the couch and now that it's over we have lost all direction for our lives, but it was well worth it! We caught up to Yu Na after the gold medal performance to give a hearty congratulations for her gold medal and take a picture with her, but she didn't have time to respond to us after that because they said "GOLD MEDALIST , YU-NA KIM!" and then she had to go to the podium to get the medal.





Afterwards, I was able to give a consolatory congratulations to Mao Asada for her silver medal. Though she got 2nd, she had a record breaking performance! She didnt' seem to happy about it, but she'll still be highly successful once she gets to Japan with endorsements. Congrats Mao Asada!



So on the day that we got snowed in (two days in a row actually), we stayed put for one, but the other we went to play Settlers with our friends. We couldnt' get out of our driveway so Sung scooped up and taken to Tammy's, where it all went down. For our pre game meal, we had Neoguri (a spicey ramen), leftover tangsooyuk from the last blog, and cranapple-honey glazed chicken stuf't with Italian Sausage. It was supposed to be made of quail but the Shoprite didn't have it. I found out that quail is actually a delicacy.



Game on, we played through the day and ordered some pizza, wings and salad from Johnny's when it came dinner time. Janet and Jason picked those up for us and joined the party. I usually don't win, but I actually won a game! yes! :)



FILET-O-FISH

So since we were stuck inside for a few days, we depleted our food stash. We were deciding what to do when the filet-o-fish song started playing in my head and making it's way out of my vocals. Note: If your name is Kendra, I'd advise not to click on the link. =P


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJOIqVAD-s



"Hey, how about filet-o-fish?" Excellent.

We made our way over and on the way, I dared my husband to sing the Filet-o-fish song while he was ordering.

"Give me back that filet o fish, give me that fish. Give me back that filet-o-fish, give me that fish. Can I get two filet o fish please?"

But he said he didn't want to do it in the case that they might do something to the filet-o-fish. So I made a deal,"If you tell the guy that I have something to sing to him, I'll sing the song to him". I didn't think he'd do it so I dismissed the thought. We pull up to the window and as the guy is handing us our stuff Kee says, "Excuse me, my wife has something to sing to you".So caught off guard, I shoot him a "oh no you di-iiin't" look, duck my head lower so the attendant can see me, open my hands palms towards the attendent, fingers stuck together, pinky side of each hand to each side of my head and began flapping them.

"Give me back that filet-o-fish, give me that fish. Give me back that filet-o-fish, give me that fish."

So embarrassing!!! but it well worth it because the attendant was dying of laughter. It all worked out well, but we should have asked for some sweet and sour sauce for our fries while we were on his good side! dang. So in the end, we got non-tampered fillet o fish and we gave the McD's guy a good laugh. The song is so catchy! When you're singing it right before you go to bed, you know someone's done some successful advertising. I dont' think we're the only ones that caught on either.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-kvxLdiSLc&feature=related

The actors and writers of the jingle featured on the Rachel Ray show too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dE6YzFI4PM&feature=fvw



KKAMPUNGI

So from tangsooyook, we had the oil that we deep fried in so I thought I'd do another deep fry to use the oil once more before discarding.

FOODIE QUESTION: Does anyone know the best way to discard oil?

So the menu was the closet relative to tangsooyook in a chinese/korean restaurant. Kampoongi! Kampoongi is a deep fried "nugget" tossed in a spicy sauce. Shoprite at 7am does not have everything out.

FOODIE NOTE: do not go grocery shopping at 7am unless you have to.
I wanted to use the regular chicken wing size, but they only had drumsticks that were slightly bigger than wing size. So I got drumsticks inbetween. I think they'd even work well with cuts of chicken without bone too though flavor would be slightly different.

Meat next to bone = OMG.

So here's the final product. I think this round could have used a little more salt before deep frying, but it turned out okay. :)





Finger lickin' good!


SIMMERED PULLED BRISKET

and yesterday, was brisket simmered in spices for 8 hours. 8 hours sounds a lot harder than it really is because you just put the meat and preparations into the pot and do whatever until it's done. It's like magic though. The brisket goes in as a bright red chunk of meat and comes out deep brown, shredded and flavorful. Give it a try:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/southwestern-pulled-brisket-sandwiches-recipe/index.html

I decided to make ours spicer so I added a few more chipotle chiles (the whole can!) and more of my favored fire spices. After 8 hours, Voila!



Then you just heat up some buns and put the meat on it! Sounds easy, but the last leg of baking the buns wasn't that easy for me because I have a terrible time baking buns. I love multi tasking but baking buns is something I CANNOT multitask with. This is what the first buns turned out like:



I did that to three out of 8 buns! Luckily the pan I was cooking it on didn't take more or we would have lost all our potato buns. I had five more left. I thougth I could do it again this time...the multitasking. I did it!, but I almost goofed again.



But alas, they were good to eat. We piled on the meat with some thinly sliced onions and picked jalepenos.



Dinner has been saved!


Y